TheList

Updated list of scholarship opportunities (and related topics) with an emphasis toward (but not exclusive to) Historically Black Colleges and Universities and African-American Students
-Barry Wynn

Wednesday, June 16, 2004

Blacks urge lawmakers to fund scholarships: "John Hurt, a 54-year-old truck driver and factory worker, said he would use the scholarship money to learn how to read and write better. Hurt was in the first grade when the Prince Edward County schools closed and didn't learn to read until he was an adult. "

[ I'm not sure why, but this doesn't quite square up for me. I'm happy for the former students but it seems like too little too late. I don't want to sound cynical but it just seems like a "feel good" gesture. It's like my position on reparations. You really can't afford (or unwilling to provide) any real, meaningful reparations so don't bother. Let's just make sure this mess doesn't happen again. Just my 2 cents. - Barry ]