TheList

Updated list of scholarship opportunities (and related topics) with an emphasis toward (but not exclusive to) Historically Black Colleges and Universities and African-American Students
-Barry Wynn

Tuesday, January 11, 2005

DOE presents National Education Technology Plan - Computerworld: The DOE has a plan for a new "golden age" in American education. I usually offer these posts with little or no comment but this one begs for a bit of spleen venting. American education seems to be an oft neglected subject no matter which party is ascendent. And I realize that some pretty intelligent and better read people than I say that the government should not even be bothered with education. I respectfully disagree but if this is the best they can do then I'm willing to change my mind. My favorite quote from the article: "It said paper textbooks become outdated quickly and are 'physically cumbersome,' and recommended that schools train teachers in using online and multimedia instruction. It also said schools should consider online content but also place rigorous academic standards on that content. " - I don't know for sure but this seems like a bald contradiction. - Barry