TheList

Updated list of scholarship opportunities (and related topics) with an emphasis toward (but not exclusive to) Historically Black Colleges and Universities and African-American Students
-Barry Wynn

Wednesday, March 15, 2006

State Board of Education votes for opt-in sex education policy | LJWorld.com: "Topeka — The State Board of Education today voted 6-4 for an opt-in policy on sex education, despite arguments from health experts that it would reduce the number of students receiving information about the dangers of unprotected sex."

Note: From what I've read (and I may even have blogged it here) Sex Ed and Abstinence Only programs seem to have the same overall effect on preventing teen pregnancy. Which to my mind is beside the point. What about the very real imperative of teaching children about human reproduction? Can you do this without covering intercourse, STD's, and such, and yes, contraception?

Seems a little shortsided to me. Without seeing what they are covering with respect to human reproduction, perhaps I'm missing the point. I certainly hope I am. - Barry Wynn